STEM Year 7
In this unit students conduct a research investigation on energy consumption and efficiency in the school context. The investigation follows scientific methods and skills with mathematical analysis methods using digital technologies to evaluate inputs and outputs in an integrated STEM approach. Students determine the energy efficiency rating of the school then seek ways to improve this rating using research methods including data collection from online data as well as surveys.
- Purpose – Your mission – Key Activity 1
- Research Question – Identifying possible impacts and effects – Key Activity 2
- Background Observations – A preliminary look at data – Key Activities 3ab
- Research prediction – A cause-effect statement – Key Activity 4
- Research design – Fair test – Key Activity 5
- Collecting and collating data – Outcomes – Key Activity 6
- Collecting and collating data – Impacts – Key Activity 7
- Analysing Background Data -Trends – Key Activity 8ab
- Energy consumption factors – Light use – Key Activities 9
- Energy savings – Revisiting prediction – Mathematics or survey options – Key Activity 10a or 10b
- Conclusions – Results, Confidence, Studies and Actions - Key Activity 11
- Communication – Presentation to target audience - Key Activity 12
- Efficient use of energy in a school is dependent on patterns of use
- Informed decision making is based on evidence
STEM Research Investigation Teacher Guide
This research investigation seeks to set a framework for investigating energy consumption and generation in the school context.
Download the Teacher Guide as a complete year level or as seperate pages within each lesson.
Lessons you can bring straight to the classroom.
Equipped with a topic overview, learning outcomes, resource list and supporting activities.
Everything you see has been aligned to the Australian curriculum!
Take a look below to see the learning outcomes for each subject area.