Exploring Greenhouse Gases and the Greenhouse Effect
Throughout this lesson series students will be introduced to the greenhouse effect. Students will represent and analyse greenhouse gas data to evaluate whether global warming and climate change are occurring in the world. They will then determine their individual carbon footprints and identify ways that they can help to reduce the greenhouse effect. Students will require ready access to ICT at a whole-class, small-group and individual level.
ACSHE191 ACSHE194 ACSHE230 ACSSU189
- Define greenhouse gases and describe the greenhouse effect
- Explain the causes and effects of the greenhouse effect
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Describe what is meant by the term 'greenhouse gas'
- Explain the greenhouse effect using diagrams and written text.
Example Learning Sequence
- Introduce the term 'greenhouse gas', explain and provide examples
- Describe the importance of the greenhouse effect for supporting life on Earth
- Present and discuss diagram representation of the greenhouse effect