Lesson 1 & 2
Exploring the Law of Conservation of Energy
Throughout this lesson series students will be introduced to the law of conservation of energy. Using the example of solar cells, students explore how usable energy is reduced during energy transfer and transformation such that the system is not 100 % efficient. Students will require ready access to ICT at a whole-class, small-group and individual level.
ACSHE194 ACSHE230 ACSSU190
- Explore the law of conservation of energy
- Recognise that the law of conservation of energy explains that total energy is maintained in energy transfer and transformation
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Explain the law of conservation of energy and provide examples
- Diagrammatically represent energy transfers and transformations in real-life examples.
Example Learning Sequence
- Review the different forms of energy
- Introduce the law of conservation of energy, providing examples
- Use diagrams to depict energy transfer and transformations to aid in explanation of the law of conservation of energy