Lesson 2 - 3
Exploring Light Sources
Throughout this lesson series students will be introduced to the concept of light energy and will investigate sources of light. Students will identify where light energy is used in their everyday lives. Students will learn to draw representations of light through the use of ray drawings. Students will conduct experiments about light and its effects.
ACSHE081 ACSHE083 ACSSU078 ACSSU080
- Explain how each energy source is used to generate light.
- Describe how we use light energy from different sources in everyday life.
- Draw rays to show that light travels in straight lines and reflects off different surfaces.
- Investigate how light from the sun can be used to charge a solar calculator (optional).
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Identify the different sources of light.
- Explain different ways that people use light energy in their everyday lives.
- Show how light travels and reflects by drawing rays.
- Explore how light reflects off a surface and travels in a straight line into our eyes.
- Explain how solar energy charges a solar calculator and allows it to work (optional).
Example Learning Sequence
- Discuss different sources of light energy
- Describe how people use light energy from different sources in their everyday lives
- Explain the travel of light in straight lines by drawing rays
- Explore how light reflects off a surface and travels in a straight line into our eyes
- Investigate how solar energy makes a solar calculator work (optional)