Lesson 8 - 9
Absorption of solar energy
Throughout this lesson series, students will be introduced to the concept of light transfer. Students will investigate reflection refraction and absorption of light through simple experiments. They will also investigate the different absorption of light by various colours. There is an Mathematics option to analyse the absorption of solar energy by solar panels in a school setting.
ACSHE081 ACSHE083 ACSIS086 ACSIS087 ACSIS090 ACSIS091 ACSIS093 ACSIS218 ACSIS231 ACSSU078 ACSSU080 ACMSP118 ACMSP119 ACMSP120
- Explore how the colour of an object affects the amount of solar energy that is absorbed.
- Explore how the amount of light and time of year affect the absorption of solar energy.
Evidence of Learning
Can the student:
- Make predictions about which colour will absorb the most light.
- Measure the temperature of each different coloured container.
- Use the data from solar schools to explore how the amount of light and time of year affect the absorption of solar energy.
- Communicate their observations using graphs and other data representations.
Example Learning Sequence
- Conduct an experiment to see what colour absorbs the most solar energy.
- Measure the temperature in the different coloured containers.
- Use solar schools data collected over the past 12 months to explore how the amount of light and time of year affects the absorption of solar energy (optional).